SEE OUR LATEST POSTS BY CLICKING HERE OR ON THE HANDSOME HERMANOS...

DOS HERMANOS: GO EVERYWHERE, EAT EVERYTHING

"It's not much but it's ours"

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

CHICAGO: HOT DOUG’S, HOT DAMN













EVER FALLEN IN LOVE WITH SOMETHING?
EVER FALLEN IN LOVE WITH SOMETHING?
EVER FALLEN IN LOVE WITH SOMETHING
YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH?

OK, It is official. I am in love. Head over heels, smitten, can’t think straight, goofy grin kind of puppy dog love.

Not you will be pleased to hear, with my chum’s young lady friend with whom I spent a good part of the day (although she is, of course, a delight). But, with a hot dog.

Just about every bit of research I looked at before I came to Chicago threw up the command to go to Hot Doug’s for the best hot dog in town.

Further research on their website found that they named their dogs after celebs ranging from Kiera Knightley to, rather engagingly, Pete Shelley, punk poet and lead singer of The Buzzcocks, officially in the top three bands of all time. How could I resist? I could not.

So, a short cab ride from Lincoln Park saw us arrive outside Hot Doug’s and join the fast moving queue with me already slavering in anticipation.

A warm smile from Doug himself as he takes the order sets the tone of the place and I ordered a standard dog with everything (onions, mustard, relish) while my chum, being of the vegetarian persuasion, went for the Pete Shelly ( formerly the Howard Devoto and before that, The Steve Diggle) with cheese, ketchup and caramelized onions.

We took a seat and the grilled beauties arrived about 2 minutes later along side enough chips to feed even a hungry Chicagoan (even if it was the small portion) and they were as good as everybody told me. Better in fact. With a crunch to the dog, a nice soft bun and great relish.

The fries were excellent too even though not the duck fat fried ones available only on Friday and Saturday. I almost polished off the lot, but had to restrain myself.

I think, as I travel and certainly as I get older, my tastes are becoming much more simple and high end dining is leaving me feeling increasingly under whelmed and disappointed.

It is places like Hot Doug’s which are making me happy these days. Simple food, well done and served at a decent price (our entire meal cost $7, less than the cab ride up there) by nice people.

It’s a simple recipe to make everybody happy nowadays

Cheers Doug

Labels: , , ,

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 Comments:

Blogger Hermano 1 said...

HS,

You are a carb-crazy fule and I love you (as a brother of course).

HP

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Hot Dougs! If you're still in Chicago and looking for a good cocktail, check out a bar called the Matchbox for some good drinks. It's at 770 N Milwaukee Ave. A place called the Violet Hour just opened which is supposed to be pretty good as well...

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:17:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you found Hot Doug's! Their old location was right down the street from me and it was my Saturday afternoon regular spot.

Anyhow--if you are still in Chicago, you could try Mandarin Kitchen in Chinatown (the last restaurant on the end of Chinatown Square). Also, you should check out Korean town.

And are you going to Trotter's? that is the question!!!

But really, it's the Mexican that you should try. Are you going to Topalabampo? (sp?) You should definitely try something more local as well--although I'm not sure where people are eating these days (again, try the LTH forums). Maybe try somewhere in Logan Square?

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:52:00 pm  
Blogger Saritha said...

I am a delight, and don't your forget. We miss you. Come back soon so I can take you to The Violet Hour!!

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:57:00 pm  
Blogger Jeanne said...

LIke you said, do a little reasarch and Hot Doug's name come up. Abd after your glowing recommendation, how can i not add it to my to do list when I arrive in Chicago tomorrow??

Friday, October 03, 2008 2:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Cate said...

You say you had chips and then you said fries. Chips = crisps and fries = chips in the US of A. Did you have both? I am partial to a chili dog with fries on the side, commonly known as a Coney in Detroit.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 7:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older