SEE OUR LATEST POSTS BY CLICKING HERE OR ON THE HANDSOME HERMANOS...

DOS HERMANOS: GO EVERYWHERE, EAT EVERYTHING

"It's not much but it's ours"

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

SEAFRESH







SEAFRESH: WILLINGLY BATTERED AFTER THE BAR SHOW
I have a saying. Every now and again and just for all too brief a moment, life stops kicking you in the ass.

Today was one of those days. More of The London Bar Show and London Bar Week, which you can read about (when I sober up after five days on the lash) over on EAT MY GLOBE brought me to the first day of the show proper, although both I and my liver are pretty sure it has been going on for days now.

I spent much of the day wandering around the show being offered samples of spirits and beers by women in little or no clothing at some point, there were women in little or no clothing dancing in a cage. If there had been Jello involved or one of them was dressed as Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music, I would have used up all of my three wishes in one go and required a change of clothing to boot.

When I got tired of that, I headed out to The Beefeater VIP area to which I had been given a pass and sat in a deckchair in the sunshine drinking G&T’s or Elderflower Gin Breezes.

As I said, just now and again, life stops using the rectum of Hermano 2 for target practice.

My old chum Paul was at the show too and we took the opportunity to catch up for supper. So, after a nostalgic couple of pints at The Elephant & Castle in Kensington, we hopped in a cab down to Seafresh in Victoria. It had been on my Fish & Chip radar for as long as I can remember but, I had not had chance to head down there until tonight.

It gets very good word of mouth and I can see why. Starters of fried calamari and whitebait were examples of good frying technique and came with a plate of decent pickles and a bought in tartar sauce.

As good Northern lads, we both went for Haddock for our main course. Perfect bubbly batter cracked to reveal steaming flaky fish cooked just to point. Large mounds of chips gave up just enough crispy bits to keep me happy and a plate of mushy peas was just the correct shade of fluorescent green to make us both feel homesick.

With a bottle of something white which, I am afraid, has joined the mists of drinks downed in the last few days, the bill came to £50 including service. Most of which, I think, went on the wine.

Not bad at all and I would place it a close contender to Masters Superfish in Waterloo and The Golden Hind in Marylebone in the ranks of London Chippies.

Two more days to go.

Labels: , , ,

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 Comments:

Blogger Gavin said...

H2, brain is clearly addled. You have conflated two F&C gaffs - the Sea Shell in Lisson Grove and Seafresh down Victoria way.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 12:04:00 pm  
Blogger Hermano 2 said...

Well spotted and yes, it was due to a brain addled with far to many free G&T's

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:05:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also a Northern lad (from Sheffield) but don't really bother with F+C in London (apart from the occasional lunchtime at the place located top end of Whitecross St, I can't remember the name) even though I've been living there on and off for 18 years. How does the stuff in London compare with stuff up North in your opinion?

I was recently in Sheffield visiting my folks and we did F+C one evening and it was as good as I remember it being, all the trimmings including curry sauce, a personal fave. Maybe it's about time I explored a couple of the London options.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 2:30:00 pm  
Blogger Hermano 2 said...

The Cosy Fish Shop on Whitecross St is OK, but not great even by London standards

In London, you should try Golden Hind and Masters Superfish ( Waterloo ) and, indeed Seafresh

None will be close to up North, and certainly no where near as good as those I try in Rotherham or Sheffield

In Sheffield, next time you are there try Two Steps on The Eccelsall Rd

S

Sunday, June 10, 2007 3:07:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. Two Steps is definitely on the radar although we always seem to stick to our local which is The Broomhill Friery. I will push hard for Two Steps next time.

On that last visit, I was also impressed by a newish Cantonese place on London Road called Dim Sum that my parents took me to, check it out if you get the chance.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 6:48:00 pm  
Blogger Hermano 2 said...

My family in Sheffield go there quite a lot. It is run, I think by the woman who used to be at Zing Va ( an old family favourite)

I have not been but have heard very good things

S

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:01:00 pm  
Blogger Jess said...

Seafresh does indeed live up to its name. Unpretentious and simple it has never failed to deliver. Jaws

Friday, August 01, 2008 9:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older