SEE OUR LATEST POSTS BY CLICKING HERE OR ON THE HANDSOME HERMANOS...

DOS HERMANOS: GO EVERYWHERE, EAT EVERYTHING

"It's not much but it's ours"

Tuesday, October 17, 2006






GINNAN: ANOTHER ONE TO ADD TO THE SUSHI LIST
While we are waiting for HP to find his muse and add some words to the pictures of AdJR, I am pleased to report a very decent little supper at this long established Japanese restaurant on Roseberry Court.

Ginnan has been open for at least ten years ( the staff must be exhausted by now. Boom, Boom ) and I must have walked past it nearly 1000 times but never thought about going in.

However, tonight, prompted by one of my regular sushi cravings and by a post on Chowhound asking if it was any good, I decided to pop by and give it a go.

The décor is very old school and, judging by the other clientele, designed to appeal almost entirely to an expat crowd. The service is just as old school and none the worse for that. Charming from start to finish.

I know that once a week ( Monday? ) they have a very popular buffet. Tonight though, just the standard menu with its standard offerings which was fine by me as my sushi pangs always lead me in the same direction. Deep fried followed by raw.

After a little comped dish of cabbage with tofu, I started, as ever, with assorted tempura which was very well done indeed with greaseless frying and light airy batter.

To follow a selection of sushi and sashimi from the a la carte menu. I plumped for Fatty Tuna and Sea Bass for the sashimi. Not quite as sparkling as that provided at Saki, but fresh enough and well presented. The nigiri were a pretty samey choice of eel, crab and bream, but well done and, as they should be, on pleasingly warm rice. Natto futomaki felt worryingly healthy but, I could have easily downed more than the six portions per roll. Best of all, though, was the temaki ( hand roll ) of salmon skin which had the crunch of the fried skin with the fatty layer underneath as a counterpart. I only ordered one, but could have eaten half a dozen.

With some tea and water, the bill came to £37 which reflects my ability to over order and the cost of decent sushi in London. A much wiser man that me once said you should beware of cheap sushi and how right he was.

Although it is slightly silly to describe a place that has been around for ten years as a ‘find” I am glad I gave it a try and will certainly do so again next time my I get a serious sushi jones
Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older